Thursday, January 1, 2015

OFFICIAL BOSTON TRAINING BEGINS TODAY!

For the last two months I have been dealing with doubts about competing in my first Boston Marathon this coming April. At the Columbus Half Marathon last October I injured my hamstring. I didn't think the injury was severe, but in the weeks following the Columbus Half, it worsened. It got so bad I could no longer run on it.

I decided to see a physical therapist, Justin Kiger of Mountain River Physical Therapy in St. Clairsville, Ohio. Over a six week period, Justin took me through a series of exercises, stretches, ASTYM therapy, and dry needling therapy. I've been pain-free now for about ten days and have worked my way back up to eight miles.

There is hope for the Boston in April! Although, I hold on to that hope gingerly. Yesterday I broke out a new pair of shoes to celebrate the end of 2014. New shoes = new life.
I've worn loud shoes before but never fluorescent orange. These things are so bright they hurt your eyes. I've trained in Saucony Triumphs for the last eight years. Because I go through so many pairs, I buy last year's model for half price online. Sometimes these "odd" colors are the only ones left in my size. So I'm not trying to make a fashion statement, I'm just cheap.
 
For the next several months I will be posting regularly about my preparation and workouts for the Boston Marathon. I don't plan on announcing my posts on Facebook running club pages after today. If you want to follow, sign up for the email alerts or become a follower of the page. I know some of you are also preparing for Boston. Here's hoping that the next several months are good to us--May we be injury free, may we have half-decent weather and good running buddies to help us train through the long miles.
 
God bless and happy running in 2015
 
Joe C. Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment