Wednesday, January 7, 2015

LUNCH BUCKET MONTHS


January and February are blue-collar months for runners preparing for big races in the spring. It's cold. The wind is blowing. There's snow on the ground. Nevertheless, you put on your work clothes, pack your lunch pale, and head off to the factory. At least, that's how running through these winter months feels to me. I might not like it, but the big race will be here before I know it, so I have to do it.

If you dress properly, it's not so bad once you get out on the road. To me, anything's better than running on a treadmill. The only thing worse than running on a treadmill is doing nothing. Doing nothing drives me crazy. People don't like being around me when I haven't had my workout fix.

Today when I run the temperature will be about 15 degrees with 18 mph winds. Yuk! Layers of clothing. Heavy sweats. Ski mask. Thick gloves. I'll be lucky if someone doesn't mistake me for a terrorist. But I'll do it. I'll suffer through it. And when I finish, I'll actually feel pretty good about it. There's something about suffering that brings an odd satisfaction into a runner's soul. When I eat supper tonight, I will feel somehow worthy of the calories because I suffered through a cold, long run.

Here's my marathon training for the last week or so:
Monday -- 8 mile easy run
Tuesday -- 60 minutes on a stationary bike, stretches, back, abs, arms, and hamstring strengthening exercises.
Wednesday -- 8 mile easy run
Thursday -- 60 minutes on a stationary bike, stretches, back, abs, arms, and hamstring strengthening exercises.
Friday -- 10 mile easy run
Saturday -- 8 mile easy run (hamstring felt tight at the end of this one with a little jolt of pain)
Sunday --  60 minutes on a stationary bike, stretches, back, abs, arms, and hamstring strengthening exercises.
Monday -- 6 mile easy run
Tuesday -- 60 minutes on a stationary bike, stretches, back, abs, arms, and hamstring strengthening exercises.
Today -- I'll try to do 8 miles easy but will also be sensitive to how the hamstring feels.

Happy Running!

Joe C. Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment