Friday, March 21, 2014

ARE MARATHONERS CONQUISTADORS OF THE USELESS?


Many people think that racing and training for a marathon are a huge waste of time and energy. Life is short. Why spend one to three hours a day for many months preparing for a race that often does more damage to your body than good? Why not invest your time and energy into more useful endeavors, hobbies, or even better--the important relationships of your life?

To obsessed runners those words can definitely sting with the discomfort of truth. With all the time, effort, and resources we pour into the marathon, we know that other important areas of our lives are often neglected. Yet we press on, making sure we follow the training schedule, log the demanding miles, see physical and massage therapists to ward off injury, and somehow fit in an extra half hour of sleep to speed recovery. All this for what? To say, "I came, I ran, I conquered?" To get a big medal that confirms we made it through 26.2 miles? To buy a bumper sticker that says: HALF MARATHONS ARE FOR WIMPS?

I must confess that I don't feel fully justified in the time, effort, and money I put into my running. I have so many other important things that need my attention -- my wife, kids, grand kids, teaching job, ministry, and the list goes on. But I continue to run and train for a marathon.

I guess if I didn't, I wouldn't be who I am. Maybe that's a good thing, or maybe that's a bad thing. I know that over the years I have developed a lot of self-discipline through running. Because of that self-discipline, I have learned to make good use of time and get a lot of things done. Through running, I have also learned that I can accomplish great challenges through setting goals and working hard. Distance running has definitely made me tougher--bad weather, early risings, tough circumstances, and a demanding schedule may be daunting but never defeating. My doctor tells me I am healthier than most men my age because of my running. No doubt, running has contributed to who I am.

The marathon experience definitely shapes our bodies and characters. It challenges us. It humbles us. It changes us. And If we can pull off the tricky balancing act of attending to the priorities in life and somehow manage to put in the miles and finish the race, then we will have accomplished something very, very ... useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment