Wednesday, March 26, 2014

FIRST RACE -- Relay for Life Spring 5K and Running Cartoon of the Week

RUNNING CARTOON OF THE WEEK
 

This past Saturday I competed in the Relay for Life Spring 5K in Tiltonsville, Ohio. Great race! I loved the course, which was out and back mostly along the Ohio River. Because I'm training for the Glass City Marathon at the end of April, I didn't rest for this race. Fortunately I felt pretty good and ran 19:27, which surprised me because I have done no 5K speed work. We do speed for our marathon training once a week, but it's no where near 5k pace.

The race had over three hundred entrants, lots of giveaways, a pancake breakfast after the race, and a nice awards ceremony in the local school's auditorium. Diane McCracken was the race director, and as usual, she did an excellent job. The overall male winner was one of my former cross country runners, Cedric Robinson. He ran 16:44. The overall female winner was my training buddy, Chrissy Lewis. She ran 19:30.

This Saturday we plan on doing 13 miles at marathon pace--7:27 per mile. This is the hard workout of the week, although we did do four one mile intervals on Monday at about 6:28 pace. With the cold and wind, those milers were challenging.

Next Friday will be our final 20 miler. I'll be glad when that one is over with. Then I'll race the WEBARK 5K in Glendale, WV on April 12 and run an easy 12 miler on April 19. Before you know it April 27 will arrive -- RACE DAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment