Monday, April 6, 2015

LAST 20 MILER BEFORE BOSTON


Today I did my final long training run before Boston. I began the run at 10:30 a.m., the same time of my start at Boston. I will be in the second wave, corral B. It will be interesting to see what kind of pace my fellow corral mates will be running. From everyone I've talked to, the people in your corral run right around your pace.

Today I ran 7:46 for 20 miles (2:35:29). By the time I finished the temperature was in the mid 60s and I was quite dehydrated. I hope to go under 7:30 per mile at the race. I want to thank my son-in-law, Josh Taylor, for running the last ten miles with me. It really helps to have some company, especially in those final miles of a long run.

 I hope to lose 3 to 4 pounds in the next two weeks. I'm definitely still carrying some extra winter fat.
The winter of 2014-15 made it incredibly difficult to train consistently. There were days when I went out in 10 degree weather with 15 mile an hour winds and turned back after a couple of miles. I'm becoming a wimp in my old age. Anyway, spring is here, and my marathon training is winding down.

Good news! My mission project, Running Boston for Malawi, has raised almost $1500 for the people of the Domasi Presbytery in Malawi, Africa. The money will go to basic supplies for these dedicated Christian people who are living in a poverty stricken area of the world. If you would like to contribute, send a check to me. Make it out to the Upper Ohio Valley Presbytery with "Malawi Partnership" in the memo line. My address is:

Joe Ellis
71299 Skyview Drive
Martins Ferry, OH 43935

I plan on doing a couple of 8 milers this week with a long uphill and downhill during one of them. Then on Sunday I hope to do an easy 12 miler. Next week I'll run a couple of days and bike a couple of days. Next week I will keep my mileage at 6 a day or less.

I'm really looking forward to heading to Boston and running in the Big Show. Everyone who has completed the race has told me it one of those special life experiences you will never forget.

Happy Running,

Joe C. Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment