Thursday, November 20, 2014

CURSED HAMSTRING

While running the Columbus Half Marathon on October 19, I encountered some hamstring pain. The discomfort began at about the ten-mile mark, but I kept pushing it to the end. The next day I definitely felt that I had strained something back there. I continued to train for the next week and a half, but the hamstring pain worsened. I wasn't going to let this stop me. No way. But it hurt too much to run.

I decided to take a week off and let it rest. Then I tried an easy six miler. Not a good idea. I only made it through two miles before the pain began again. At two and a half I had to stop and walk home. I took two weeks off and made an appointment with a physical therapist, Justin Kiger at Mountain River Physical Therapy in St. Clarisville, Ohio.. After two sessions of ASTYM treatments, stretching and strengthening exercises, and massage with a Styrofoam roller, I convinced Justin to let me jog a few miles. With some reservation he approved.

The next day I attempted an easy six miler. The first three were pain free. At about three and a half, tightness and discomfort returned so I walked the rest of the way back. Today the hamstring is sore again. Running the Turkey Trot next week in Wheeling, WV is out of the question. Isn't it?  Now I'm seriously wondering how much this injury may impact my Boston training scheduled to begin in December. CURSED HAMSTRING!

The moral of the story: Some running injuries, especially certain hamstring strains and tears, require a long period of non-running. The pain may go completely away, but if you start back too soon, chances are you will reinjure yourself. Don't be foolish (like me). Take the time off and let it heal completely.

I've missed the last two local races, but I keep telling myself: I have bigger fish to fry. Boston training starts soon. If I'm not careful, I could screw up the month of December. I keep telling myself, "You won't go crazy if you take some time off. No. No crazy. No way. Hahahahaa. No way. I'm not crazy! Is that a purple monkey sitting next to me?"
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment